A handy guide on what Not to say to New Moms this holiday season
My sister's favorite comment for 4 straight days. "You're wearing leggings/ sweatpants again?"
Caring friends who seem to have forgotten their manners. "We just wanted to make sure you didn't have depression and want to harm the baby. We read about it online."
Everyone, all Christmas, at every meal. "God, you eat too much."
This one is great and I still get it 14 months after I started breastfeeding. "You're nursing in front of me!"
Now, here you're thinking I'm kidding but I'm not. My premie was a slightly funny color for a while so his grandparents decided this was a good idea to say. "He's kind of a weird color, is he Mexican?"
After the baby just peed. "His diaper's wet, you need to change him more." Hands baby off to me and waits for his diaper to be changed so they can hold him more.
1. Merry Christmas, you look tired.
2. I thought when we invited ourselves to your Christmas you would entertain us more.
3. Just a little sugar. It won't keep the baby up because newborns sleep so much.
4. You aren't really eating for two.
5. Oh, I thought your stomach would be flatter by now.
6. We'll play with the baby while you cook for us.
7. Your hair is dirty, have you tried dry shampoo?
8. Should the baby cry this much? Do something to make them stop crying.